In case anyone wanted the list I had up last night…
1. streams: 2 tools, export gzip of a directory, and import the resulting archive to a new folder
2. redis: content caching?
3. redis (advanced): pub-sub
4. mysql: whatever you want… simple
5. console: make a script which asks for your name, then does something with it.
6. oauth: twitter client?
7. crypto: do passwords “right”
8. time zones: make a simple time-zone-based time converter or clock
9. event (advanced): use ev extension to do something asynchronous like have a console command that just counts until another script signals it.
10. images: make an avatar image using a selected color (hex) and your initials centered in the box.
11. apis: make a script which will find a location (lat/lon) for an address
12. apis: make a script which will translate a phrase from english to ?
13. ai: make a bot capable of passing the turing test
14. apis: make an api service to allow a user to query for some sort of data
15. lua: utilize the lua extension to do something
16. composer: use composer to set up a project using libraries able to send mail, use an ORM, and log events
17. logging: make a script which will log events to syslog, using a psr-3 interface
18. testing: write unit tests using phpunit to test a math-y class
19. testing: use prophecy to mock a database class so it does not hit a database when your test runs
20. sessions: write a session-handler class to store session data in redis
21. templating: use twig to write a simple webpage which includes dynamic data
22. regex: write a script which will take the contents of a webpage and output a list of all the images on the page, optionally add the size of each image WITHOUT actually downloading the image.
23. time: write a fuzzy-time renderer to take a date-time and render something wordy like “3 days from now”, “next week”, “long, long ago…”
24. unicode: write an emoji class to convert specific strings like “(y)” to a thumbs-up. Extra points if you use the pile-of-poo unicode.
25. write or use a markdown library to render a markdown file in the cli
26. testing: use behat to write a few behavior-driven tests
27. documentation: use a documenting library to export documentation for some random php library or set of classes.
28. search: index some data using elasticsearch (for easy data, use the faker library)
29. visualization: write a script to render a data-series as a line or bar chart